RE: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-13 11:41:18
Randall Gellens wrote:
I have been consistently unable to maintain a connection
for more than a very few minutes, usually not even lon
enough to establish a VPN tunnel and fetch one message.
The 802.11 coverage comes and goes; the APs seem to
vanish and I see nothing for a while, eventually the
network comes back but only briefly.  This has been
the case in every session I've attended, as well as
tonight's plenary.  It doesn't seem to matter if the
room is crowded or empty, or where I sit.

I have had the same issue. Not suggesting the way I solved it is the
"right" one, it turned out that when I replaced my Linksys 802.11b with
a brand new Motorola 802.11g the problem went away; there is a Radio
Shark on the third floor of City Center that sells them for $70.

If your WiFi card is a removable PCMCIA one, try to swap it temporarily
with another one; some of the older card would work fine in less crowded
environments but can't take the heat of the kind of WiFi we have for
meetings.

Michel.