Re: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-14 08:01:52

On Nov 13, 2003, at 12:46 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

Note that getting 802.11a works even better.

until everybody does, and 'everbody' is twice
as many people as now

Actually, no. 802.11a is inherently better for this sort of environment than 802.11b or 802.11g. Instead of having 3 non-overlapping channels, it has 8. Also, being at 5G it doesn't propagate as far as the 2.4G, which for us would be a real win since it would reduce interference even further. Oh, and you get 54M to share rather than 11M to boot :-)

I strongly encourage people to consider bringing 802.11a cards to future meetings! (Note: Of course, now that I've said that, the future hosts will decide against deploying it)

        - Jim
        IETF 58 NOC