Re: Re[4]: national security

2003-11-28 13:41:16
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:40:53 +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum said:

a /48 further deminishes the available bits. The situation is most
notable in the case of a home user, who would get a single IPv4 address
but gets a /48 in IPv6. So we've quadrupled our address space (in bits)
for a 50% gain... (Obviously the situation is much better when looking
at a university that has a /16 now and also gets a /48 as well.)

OK, so a /48 has 50% more bits than a /32.  On the other hand,
I've heard no *major* problems with end users getting their /32 from
their provider, and there's 65,536 more /48s.  Also, remember that many
end users are getting *multiple* IP's from their provider for SOHO use,
and they'll only need one /48.