Re: Ietf ITU DNS stuff

2003-12-04 11:43:18
At 15:17 04/12/03, Mike S wrote:
Sure, some governments can try to control some of the physical media which the Internet makes use of, but getting around that is simply a matter of reconfiguration.

Dear Mike,
I am only interested in technical issues in here. You may realize that the very possibility of what you say is a concern for every user. Who is to carry that reconfiguration? from which authority? with which responsiblity for the consequences? for he people who may be hurt or die from it? for the econmies which can be hurt? Will only be that reconfiguration signed?

You may realize that the hacking you describe is act of terrorism if you perform it as a private citizen, and an act of war if you are ordered to carry it.

My interest is in hearing about the ways:
- to prevent, address and correct such unconsidered moves through practical "patches" of any nature (people to protect).
- to study the solutions to prevent, to make them impossible

Why? Because, no one can take seriously a technology/a system of which the designers may write what you write and be technically approved by its technical community. And we all know you are true.

I am not in favor if ITU or not in favor if ITU. I am for my secure, safe, stable, innovative use of my own network resources, in a consensual way, with you and others. And I am strongly in favor of an ITU-I - to be shaped by us in common - should ITU be involved. But the first role of the ... 1867 ITU is to make sure for you to use your phone and TV even with countries at war. The same as the Postal Union is to make sure that you can send mail to countries at war. When I see the size of my spam junker in peace time, I am not sure the Internet currently got the same kind of solution. I am not sure the Internet continued operating in Iraq.

Is there a technical way against spam for example? All I see here is "please, call in the law"....But law is not the USG outside of the USA. Law is necessarily ITU. Because Law is States and for 136 years States use ITU to address/fight their communications related issues. The 190 of them. That helps and serves the citizens of every of them. You would be surprized to learn that ITU (Embassador's Lounge) is probably the place in the world where the more open or undercover military actions were decided ... to free the telegaph, the telex, the telephone during wars, revolutions, for 136 years. For you to be able to use them as much as possible 24/365.

Again, I am not interested in political comments. But in technical responses about technical or archtectural ideas to make sure the Internet cannot be used as the terrorist bomb you describe. Every idea welcome.
jfc