Re: Ietf ITU DNS stuff III

2003-12-04 16:38:22
On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 01:05, jfcm wrote:

On 06:27 04/12/03, Paul Vixie said:
there's plenty to worry about wrt the big boys controlling things, but the
internet is definitionally and constitutionally uncontrollable.  yay!

This seems untrue in terms of operations if I refer myself to the USG
relations with the nets.
This sounds like talking about a serial killer to me if you talk about the
impact of the Internet on real people's life.

I am afraid it is also technically extremely confuse. The missing subjects
and mssing URLs in:
http://www.iab.org/documents/resources/architectural-issues.html say a lot
to non internuts trying to understand it. Unless you might have a better
focal portal?

Right now, many Governments uses http://whitehouse.gov/pcipb as an entry
point into the internet issues.

And they are WRONG!

Once again, they deal with the Internet in the wrong forum. They are
trying to deal with issues with people who have no power or at best
proxy power on how the Internet is made. It is a waste of resources.

The old schema of political organisation and telecommunication is being
challenged by the Internet and people try to hold onto it, like they
hold on their monopolies, or their office.

There would be here a sense in the Internet of "alter mondialisation"
that I would not be surprised. Surprisingly too, it is the most
"communist" (Internet is for Everyone) project that ever came out of the
USA.

So we better spend our energies explaining to traditional structures,
where the decisions are made, by who and why... Get them a plane ticket
to the next IETF, INET, IAB, ICANN meeting and stop to move this
discussion to places where decisions cannot be implemented... (Don't ask
a bus driver to change the traffic lights...)

Cheers

----
Franck Martin
franck(_at_)sopac(_dot_)org
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard