Ietf ITU DNS stuff III

2003-12-03 18:51:05

Dean said:
There are, though, good reasons to have some government controls on
telecom.  Whether these controls are too excessive or too lax is not up to
ICANN or the ITU.  I can think of cases were some good has come of it.
E911, for example. Radio, TV, cellphone allocations. Ham Radio licences.
If license-free wireless operation weren't restricted in power, few people
would be able to use 802.11 because one company would be broadcasting at
hundreds of watts, etc.

Well, you know both charters and constitutions can be revised with consent.
Of course, you're right, some brokerage and allocation is necessary. Italy
had a UHF Don't care policy for low power TV and it turned out to be
probably not in the public interest. Still the essence of all this is
content versus communications.

The general idea surely of the ITU came about exactly in the context of
limited frequencies and power, etc. So, fine. Coordination of this is
reasonable.

Internet needs *far* less of this thinking then any previous globally built
system. The reason is, mostly you have 65535 ways to do most anything...
minimum and some odd hundreds of millions of places/machines/people to do it.

If Internet didn't exist in its present form and work... ITU types would
make dire predictions over how without regulation it simply wouldn't work
independent of content. The argument would be framed as a common sense
technological issue. The variant of it is "unless the real adults take
over... sooner of later (FILL_IN_THE_BLANK) will hyjack it", trust us!

(FILL_IN_THE_BLANK) is Pornographers | Spammers | Terrorists | Microsoft |
Mumbo_Jumbo | etc.

I'm trying to seek in my little gray matter even one benefit of having the
ITU do anything with the DNS. I mean, maybe somebody can point out a URL of
something with an upside to it whatsoever.

In January, some obscure protocol is going to link Internet *IN GENERAL
REALLY* to two orbiters around Mars to talk to little buggies which
hopefully will land and work.

So this thinking, so far has not only worked here quite well, but even seems
to be usable off planet. Am I missing something?

Regsards,
Dan

I hope this isn't too far afield of ietf stuffola. I'm kinda of worried
about that, (but no too worried to click on SEND)