Re: SMTP compressed protocol...

2003-12-04 23:42:09
On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 03:29:54PM +1200, Franck Martin wrote:
Why SMTP servers do not negotiate to send an 8bit compressed stream
between themselves.

In addition to John Klensin's excellent summary I might notice that one
more consideration would be the total amount of network capacity that is
consumed by email.  Looking at this backbone, all kinds of mail-related
protocols (SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc.) combined use less than 0.5% of total
used capacity.

(I do realize that in some environments, the fraction might be very
different.)