Re: SMTP compressed protocol...

2003-12-05 00:35:08
--On Friday, 05 December, 2003 07:40 +0100 Carsten Bormann <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org> wrote:

Nice discussion of the problem space.

thanks.

(1) At the time, there was no obvious compression algorithm
(given IPR  encumbrances, etc.)

Let me quickly add that RFC3320 was designed to solve that
specific problem (and the resulting deployment
economy/interoperability problems).  The RFC was developed in
the context of signalling (SIP), but certainly also can be
applied to protocols like SMTP.

Yep. As I tried to say, the circumstances now have evolved enough from the circumstances when ESMTP and MIME were being designed that the whole issue may be worth another look. Of course, of the list I gave, the compression issues are among the easiest. For me at least, the question of what problem is actually to be solved and, hence, whether the important questions are better approached by message aggregation and some sort of compressed batch SMTP mechanism, is the key one. But I don't spend nearly as much time at the end of rotten links, or working really closely with those who do, as I did a decade or more ago. Those people who do --presumably including Franck-- are the ones who should sort those tradeoffs out. Stanislav's message, and a bit of the analysis it stimulates, illustrates the importance of that quite effectively...