Re: national security

2003-12-05 04:41:51
On 5-dec-03, at 1:37, Franck Martin wrote:

Finally before a root-server is installed somewhere, someone will do an assessment of the local conditions and taylor it adequately. I want countries to request installation of root servers, and I know about 20 Pacific Islands countries that need root-servers in case their Internet link goes dead.

Might I suggest that there is a much easier way to do this: if the constituency for such a root server is so small and so homogenous (= they all share a single link to the rest of the net) then it would be much simpler for all of these users to simply share a single set of nameservers, which can then all be primary or secondary for all the domains used locally. This allows communication to continue even if the root servers are unreachable AND it allows users to register domain names under any TLD they like.