Re: Worst case question I guess

2003-12-08 17:00:10
Dan,

One small addition to your discussion/scenario...

As has been pointed out on this list, the actual rate of changes in the root zone is on the order of a few per week. Statistically, that means your 24 hour rollback might, often, have zero effect. Now compare this to the change rate in some very large ccTLD or gTLD, which is, I would assume, measured in the thousands per day range.

Now a short quiz:

        (i) Which part of the potential outage problem should we
        be spending a lot of energy worrying about, based on the
        impact of a simple halt to effective updating for a
        while or, in your scenario, a rollback?

        (ii) Why does all the energy go into worrying about the
        root instead?

        (iii) While (as has also been pointed out) the software
        and systems run by the root operators are fairly
        diverse, protecting them from easy, one-size-fits-all
        versions of certain types of attacks, would you care to
        guess at the diversity level among the servers for the
        typical large ccTLD or gTLD?

        (iv) I can be reached, via various forwarding aliases
        (and, in some cases, almost by accident), using domain
        names that are subdomains of five different TLDs
        (although I use most of them sufficiently infrequently
        that, in the case of a COM outage, you'd probably have
        to phone me to find out which to use).  How about you?
        Guess what the count is for the typical Internet user.

sigh
    john