Re: Re[2]: www.isoc.org unreachable when ECN is used

2003-12-14 19:32:38
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:05, Sally Floyd wrote:

One might hope that Linux implementors would make a better decision
next time around.

The linux implementation actually helped have a _lot_ of broken
devices fixed. I have ECN turned on always (for the last few years);
i find broken devices once every few months as opposed to once every 2-3
hours when we first deployed. The last one was when i was
a few weeks ago - the admin told me he will be upgrading the PIX
firewall in the next week.
So the Linux decision was infact a very good one. An award of some form
is in order.

Philosophically:
One could argue that at the end a better network is one with less broken
devices; and that a better interop really means conformance as opposed
to adaptation to broken implementations.

The main contention it seems is the definition of "reserved". Does it
mean "reserved forever?" Or does it mean "reserved for future use?" and
who defines what "future" means?
Someone needs to write a draft on this topic.

cheers,
jamal