Re: Processing of Expired Internet-Drafts

2004-01-14 10:26:45
Definitions:

        "draft name" = filename stem, excluding version number (e.g.,
                        "draft-iab-dos")
        "version number" = two-digit I-D version number
        "filename" = full filename, composed of draft name, version
                number, and a format suffix (e.g., "draft-iab-dos-00.ps")

(I've seen the term "filename" in this context used variously to refer
to (a) the full filename, (b) what I call the draft name, and (c) the
combination of draft name and version number.)

Fred Baker wrote:
If I can have two separate files (a tombstone and a subsequent new file
version) that have the same name, as described in the recent announcement,
I am going to have to figure out a trigger that will tell me that I need to
re-download the file.

I, too, dislike the idea of these filenames being ambiguous.  I'd prefer
that the tombstone file is the only file that ever gets that combination
of draft name and version number.  Any subsequent version of the draft
should get a new version number, higher than that used by the tombstone.

according to the above procedure we are going to accumulate empty tombstone
files at a rate of perhaps 1000-2000 per year ad infinitum.

They're not empty.  I see no need for them to remain indefinitely --
six months seems fine to me -- though if we're going to maintain strong
uniqueness of draft names then at least the names need to be recorded
indefinitely.

-zefram