RE: Processing of Expired Internet-Drafts

2004-01-14 14:47:04
I also concur with this suggestion.

This modification would also assist us to find expired drafts containing good
ideas but that were either introduced before the community became interested in
the topic or else were not renewed due to procedural issues (i.e., not due to
their lack of technical merit). I am sure that others in our community are
interested in many drafts which we are unable to read due to more pressing
local work-related pressures and then are disappointed that we can't find the
draft once the work pressures permit us time to read the previously deferred
drafts. There are many reasons why some drafts fail to receive resonance and
this approach would increase the probability of technically viable ideas not
timing out and becoming lost.

-----Original Message-----
From: Theodore Ts'o [mailto:tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 11:49 AM
To: Fred Baker
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Processing of Expired Internet-Drafts

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:43:58AM -0800, Fred Baker wrote:

It seems to me that there is a better approach to the above, at least in
the context of the above. If the "tombstone" is literally as described, it
would be far more space/search/etc efficient for us to have the tombstone
consist of an added text line in a file indicating that the named draft
expired on a certain date, and keep separate files for the active internet
drafts. It seems to me that this makes it simpler to maintain a mirror and
to find temporary documents.

I would prefer this as well.

                                                - Ted