Re: The IETF Mission

2004-01-18 21:25:28
... Another way of looking at this would be to create some sort of
refereed track.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  (who shall govern the referees?)  note that
for a long time, peter salus begged the Computing Systems readership for
articles, and usenix ultimately closed it down due to lack of submissions.
i'm really not sure another refereed document series could find traction in
a world that already has an rfc editor, usenix, sigcomm, and so on.

By the way, I think we should also ask where our role ends and where the
role of SIGCOMM and the like pick up (he says trying to pay his dues ;-).

while we at isc are hardly referees, i note with interest that one of the
publications at www.isc.org/tn was written by someone whose day job is
elsewhere, but he thought that "isc technote" was the logical place to put
this work, and we agreed.  with that remark i do not imply a solicitation,
but if isc and icann-secsac can each do their own document series, and if
the root name servers can publish c.root-servers.org/october21.txt as an
independent (non-series) document, then havn't we achieved gutenberg's goal,
doesn't everybody have their own printing press, and can't we either choose
an existing refereed forum for non-standards work, or just self-publish it?
--
Paul Vixie