RE: P2P - Crime / NAT

2004-01-20 00:55:39
Ipv6 works in WinXP. Latest developer SDK support socket programing over v6.
No NetBIOS.
Disabling of pseudo interfaces can be done by stopping 6to4 service.
This may be useful if there is a global IPv6 configured. Otherwise OS returns
the whole bunch of IPv6 addresses and in some cases, when needed, the code
should take care of which one to choose. This is the case with latest
java_1.5.0 to my knowledge.
Programming aplications, which are both v6 and v4 aware is quite a pain but may
be achieved as well.
Win2000 can use IPv6 as well. I got working MS Research prerelease under
Win2000 and it is not different from what you get in XP. However, requires
separate download and some SP number. If remember correctly should be at least
2.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of
dank(_at_)hq(_dot_)lindsayelec(_dot_)com
Sent: den 20 januari 2004 00:51
To: Mark Smith
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: P2P - Crime / NAT

This really doesn't say much about the scalability of the
solution. What it indicates is how much effort people are
willing to go to to commit what is perceived as victimless crime.

Two things.
First, here in Canada there is a new tax on "media" like writable CD's;
(extendable to Memory cards, or anything that likely holds licenced media).
And this ostensibly is redistributed to the artists via some sort of audit
like Arbitron, etc. So, at least here downloading movies, etc is part of a
transaction. Apparently, oddly its legal to download music specifically...
but MAYBE isn't legal; to offer it on a permenently available server ...
with what constitutes a "server" intentionally vague.

Law is a work around by its very nature. It only pretends precision.

Second: If/When I start a residential gateway I think I will do everything
possible to make it IpNG capable. Thanks everyone for talking me into it.
I'm trying to study it in detail a little every evening to get ready. I hope
cable TV (my industry) get with the program and do this right. These little
boxes glued all over the networks with there http interfaces... are not
specifically too good. If anything will force the issue its going to be SIP
I think.

Does anyone know when/if Microsoft is bring out a consumer operating system
with IpV6 in it? That would be useful for market acceptance...???

regs
Dan