RE: Death of the Internet - details at 11

2004-01-31 18:20:12
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar  (UMKC-Student) wrote:

However, with multihoming, the change may be a common occurance
throughtout the lifetime of a connection depending on the application and
the use of the multiple paths (failover, concurrent multipath transfer,
etc). So TCP (or whatever transport) should not be blind to the fact that
data is potentially going over a different path. Otherwise, the congestion
control parameters/algorithms will not work properly.

I agree. But, as you mention in an other mail, TCP/SCTP/DCCP has a limit to
do simultaneous tranfer. It is impossible to provide concurrent multipath
transfer without changing the cc algorithms.

Yes, I never meant to imply that the cc algorithms could remain the same.
I just wanted to point out that concurrent multipath transfer (CMT) can
not be done well without multihoming support at the transport. At UD, we
(in particular, Jana Iyengar) are investigating CMT in multihomed
transports (ie, SCTP) so that only the sender has to modify it's cc
algorithms to remain Internet-friendly.

But, given current options, transport is the better judge to do zero
click fail-over.

Yes, I think so.

~armando

| Armando L. Caro Jr.  |  Protocol Engineering Lab |
| www.armandocaro.net  |    University of Delaware |