Re: Visa for Korea

2004-02-02 18:22:07

As promised, The Korean consulate in DC has a resolution
for the visa problem.

The Korean Consular General for the United States has
committed to preparing two letters for U.S. citizens to
carry with them.

The letters, one in English and one in Korean addressed to
border officials, states that U.S. citizens traveling to
Korea to attend the IETF meeting and/or tourism for up to
30 days DO NOT NEED A VISA.

The IETF secretariat expects to receive these letters by
Friday, Feb. 6 and will let you know when they are posted
as graphics on the www.ietf.org web site.  Print copies
and carry with you.

About customs and immigration.  "Less said, faster through."
Just show your passport and say you are attending a
technical meeting in Seoul by a nonprofit organization.
Should the official inquire about a visa, then show him
the letters.

TO BE CLEAR:  This applies only for U.S. citizens with a
current passport traveling to Korea to attend the IETF
meeting -- a technical conference by a nonprofit group.
If you are traveling to Korea to attend additional
business meetings then technically you require a visa, as
does a government employee acting in an official capacity.

Gene Gaines
gene(_dot_)gaines(_at_)gainesgroup(_dot_)com
Sterling, Virginia

My previous email: