Re: proposal for built-in spam burden & email privacy protection

2004-02-09 20:18:03

Dean Anderson wrote:

On 10 Feb 2004, Franck Martin wrote:
When you realign your anti-spam efforts from control of business to
control of techno-terrorists, the problem is quite a bit different, and
you can see also that things like signing and other things aren't going to
work.

Signing doesn't work because it cannot provide a load per recipient,
just per sender. Encryption with the recipient's public-key (as I am
proposing) works because the spammer must encrypt each message
for each recipient. This applies to lawful spammers as well, finally
adding friction to email by creating a mandatory "fee" (burdenwise) to
send messages.

BTW, my previous posting provided a rationale for proposing the following
requirement for any current or future mail system:

- Users do not want requirements to pay for sending email or to be
otherwise burdened in any way in order to stop spam. Stoping spam
should not be a user's problem.

The above anti-requirement is attainable, fair to all, and cannot be forged.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck