Re: proposal for built-in spam burden & email privacy protection

2004-02-09 21:00:54

Franck Martin wrote:
I see however the signing of e-mail, to provide traceability, so people can be located.
I can locate all the fax spammers that fill my machine with garbage, I can
call them and ask to be taken out of their lists, and they just keep on morphing,
where my fax number goes like a ping-pong ball from spammer to spammer.
Is this the "solution" we want for email? Contrary to fax, I can't disconnect
my email...
Most SPAMMERS (legit or not) will think twice if they know they can be prosecuted... Think about Caller ID for telephones...
Signing email <> Caller ID [1]. Signed email cannot prevent spam and does not
burden spammers. It may be useful for listservs, however, such as this one (see
my previous posting with a catch-all reply in this thread).

[1]  A signed email with a valid (ie, authenticated by you) signature provides message
and sender authentication as defined by a CA's CPS (which may not be much -- see
usual warranty and suitability of purpose  disclaimers). Caller ID provides terminal
authentication, irrespective of the message or actual sender (user).