Re: Continuing the story - another stab at an IETF mission statement

2004-02-13 03:44:37
On 10-feb-04, at 22:43, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

I attempted to incorporate the latest discussions into an internet-draft, which I managed to get out just before the deadline....

  draft-alvestrand-ietf-mission-00.txt

Good stuff.

But wouldn't it be useful to say something about the global nature of the internet and the IETF body of participants, and how this influences both the IETF's goals and the way it carries out its activities?

More specifically, the fact that the IETF exclusively uses English for its standards and internal processes creates a non-level participation field, but at the same time the use of a single, widely-spoken language allows for much lower costs and higher efficiency than any alternative.