Re: Continuing the story - another stab at an IETF mission statement

2004-02-13 17:46:27

--On 13. februar 2004 11:38 +0100 Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 10-feb-04, at 22:43, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

I attempted to incorporate the latest discussions into an
internet-draft, which I managed to get out just before the
deadline....

  draft-alvestrand-ietf-mission-00.txt

Good stuff.

But wouldn't it be useful to say something about the global nature of the
internet and the IETF body of participants, and how this influences both
the IETF's goals and the way it carries out its activities?

More specifically, the fact that the IETF exclusively uses English for
its standards and internal processes creates a non-level participation
field, but at the same time the use of a single, widely-spoken language
allows for much lower costs and higher efficiency than any alternative.

Good point. At least to make the point that the IETF sees the Internet as a global phenomenon, and that its standards-setting therefore must be global too - with English chosen for its utility, not its affiliation.
Suggestions on which sections to put it in?