Re: Someone's not getting their email.....

2004-02-18 15:47:32

On Feb 18, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Richard Welty wrote:

i have run internet mailing lists since about 1985. when the first C/R
systems showed up a few years ago, i arrived at simple conclusion
very quickly.

anybody who installs a C/R system and doesn't whitelist the mailing lists
they subscribe to doesn't deserve to receive those mailing lists.
i remove from my lists anyone who does this. nobody has complained
yet.

i'd strongly urge that the IETF adapt a similar policy. it's much less
stressful for all concerned.

This might be a satisfactory policy as an interim measure, but a better longer term solution would allow mailing lists to use an optional certification mechanism to bypass C/R systems. (In general, C/R systems and certification could be very synergistic, if properly implemented.) At the very least, I believe we could make it a lot easier for C/R systems to recognize list mail and handle it differently. -- Nathaniel