RE: How Not To Filter Spam

2004-02-18 15:57:14
From: "Tony Hain"
To: "'Vernon Schryver'" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>,
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

So if you had received the mail sent here yesterday claiming to be from
Alain Durand would you block Sun or IBM?  ...

I should not have responded specifically (if at all) to the other
gentleman's complaint about my blacklists.  Whatever I do to mail
directed at stuff I control is irrelevant here, provided I do not
affect any third parties.  My freedom to filter access to port 25 (SMTP)
and port 23 (telnet) is equally and completely unfettered.

Two groups oppose that principle.  Some people demand SPEWS and other
filters with what they consider too many false positives be outlawed,
because those filters might affect their outgoing mail.  They are
unmoved by users knowingly choosing their own filters.  They feel their
right to be heard by whomever they choose overrides the rights of their
targets to be left alone.

Other people see nothing wrong in spewing junk at third parties if it
might reduce their own spam loads.  These people include users of
systems based on challenge/responses, bounces after the initial SMTP
transaction (sometimes from within MUAs), "bitch lists" that send
complaints to dozens of third parties.  These people feel their right
to consent to whatever appears in their mailbox overrides the similar
right of others.

As I see it, both groups suffer the same pathology as spammers.

] From: "Robert G. Brown" <rgb(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu>

] ...
] In the department, where we do USE spam assassin, no bounce messages are
] generated except when mail fails for one of the standard reasons
] unrelated to filtering of any sort.  ...

On today's Internet, innocents are almost certainly receiving bounced
spam and viruses from your system that could not be delivered for
reasons unrelated to filtering, such as bogus target addresses.

] ...
] If that rejection occurred during the original transaction and generated
] a bounce -- well, that's the kind of thing we see above, a cure that can
] easily be worse than the disease, ...

The idiotic messages from that stupid challenge/response system are
not generated during the original SMTP transaction.  It is possible
to do challenge/responses that do not involve separate messages, but
they suffer from MUAs and MTAs that do not handle SMTP rejections
properly and users who cannot understand them.

Somehow making SMTP rejections understandable to users is something
that the IETF might attempt.  I think that is something the ASRG is
considering.  I also think that is nearly impossible.  such is life.

] If I understand what you are saying, perhaps there is a way to "do it
] correctly" -- reject the spam at the original smtp transaction but with
] a message that goes back to the original sender (only) in spite of the
] fact that both the From and Return Path header entries might well be
] forged and the message relayed through one or more open relays.  ...

Headers and the SMTP envelope, forged or not, are irrelevant to SMTP
5yz and 4yz rejections, as far as the rejecting SMTP server is concerned.
If the spam came through an open relay, then a proper SMTP rejection
might cause the relay to send a bounce to an innocent mailbox, but
SMTP relays are out of favor among spammers compared to open proxies.