Re: Continuing the story - another stab at an IETF mission statement

2004-03-09 20:48:41

--On 18. februar 2004 18:06 +0000 Tom Petch <nwnetworks(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com> wrote:

I find your definition of the Internet delightfully ambiguous.  I was
taught that the Internet (as opposed to an internet or the internet) was
the public network accessible through public IPv4 addresses (this predates
IPv6) ie the Internet ceased at a firewall or other such IP level gateway.

Reading your definition, I cannot tell where you stand; are firewalls and
networks behind them included in IETF mission or not?

Tom,
reviewing, I cannot tell whether I answered this one or not....
I was definitely intending to include them, since IMHO they are connected to the internet (see "both core and edge networks", "host to host"). If you can suggest words to make this clearer, I'd appreciate it!

                     Harald