Re: Continuing the story - another stab at an IETF mission statement

2004-03-11 06:30:21
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Einar Stefferud wrote:

Sorry to have disturbed you Robert;-(...

You didn't disturb me.  I love this stuff:-)

But, I have to wonder what this URL is about, given your comment about
geometry
being not spherical.

OK, I will explain a bit of history and mathematics.  Briefly, since
this is way off topic.  Geometry is the study of objects in a space of a
given number of dimensions and a given type.  Historically it of course
began with (actually somewhat before) Euclid's famous Elements and plane
geometry as the first axiomatically developed branch of mathematics.
This was so cool that it was damn near turned into a religion for close
to 2000 years.

Axioms are unprovable assumptions upon which the mathematics is based.
They are NOT (as is often asserted) "obvious truths" -- one can choose
the axioms, and different choices (as was discovered by Gauss and
Riemann only a couple hundred years ago) lead to different geometries
(note well the plural) in particular to non-planar geometries. Euclid's
was planar, and plane geometry is one of the few really standard and
universal exposures to mathematics even non-math/science oriented
students are subjected to.

Formally, geometry is distinguished from other forms of axiomatically
developed algebra (as yes, there is an algebra associated with each
geometry, including one called "geometric algebra" which contains things
like Quaternions, Grassmann and Clifford algebras) by virtue of having
a) a "manifold" (the "space" mentioned above) and a "metric" (named a
"Riemannian metric" in honor of Gauss's protege, Riemann, who nominally
discovered non-Euclidean differential geometry although it seems
historically likely that Gauss was already aware of it and supported
Riemann BECAUSE he was on what Gauss already knew to be a fruitful
track).  The metric of a geometry on the manifold typically defines its
properties.

There are many ways to vary the manifold, the metric, the axioms.  One
can make the manifold 1, 2, 3...N dimensional (where N can be infinite,
and in some branches of mathematics is).  The metric is what we would
call the measure of distance -- given two points in the manifold, how
can we compute the distance between them.  Note that this isn't
precisely true but I don't want to get into differential geometry and
local/differential definitions of the metric here.

A spherical geometry is the study of figures on a spherical manifold and
is certainly of interest -- it is the geometry we live in on the planet,
after all.  It differs from Euclidean plane geometry in that triangles
have >= \pi radians in the sum of its angles (instead of = \pi radians),
two points define TWO line segments, one short, one long, on a so-called
"great circle", and certain special pairs of points (antipodal points)
define and infinite number of line segments and the possibility of
drawing a "biangle".  Two distinct lines always intersect twice.  And
more.

NONE of this resembles a useful mathematical description of the Internet
except to the (nearly irrelevant) extent that of course the physical
network is physically wrapped around the roughly spherical globe and
that spatial distance and the speed of light create temporal delays in
packet propagation in a predictable manner (note that this describes the
USE of the network, not its geometry per se and certainly not its
connectivity or routing characteristics). As far as your other remarks
about the Internet being a manifold of some sort, well, it is and it
isn't.

A physical information network is a kind of graph, a directed multigraph
or pseudograph.  To be completely honest, I don't know that graph theory
is, properly speaking, a geometry, although I went along with the
metaphor in my previous reply.  It is generally considered a branch of
discrete mathematics.  One often VISUALIZES graphs as being EMBEDDED in
a geometry, e.g. drawn figures consisting of nodes and links on a plane
or other surface, but in many cases the "metric" is discrete and
completely distinct from the underlying manifold metric.  In others it
isn't.  The travelling salesman problem is one where there is a
correspondance between a spatial metric and the graph metric (a "cost
function" or "distance" assocated with each link).  The famous Bridges
problem also required a 2d manifold (the city of Konigsburg) and a rule
that links could not cross in that manifold.  A network where physical
propagation and distance-related delays are not being considered is an
example of a graph metric that is divorced from the underlying
visualization manifold (each link is a discrete "hop" and counts the
same in the total "distance").

The dimension of a network or graph is also an issue.  Graphs are nearly
always drawn on a 2d planar manifold for visualization purposes, but one
could argue that they are actually very high dimensional objects where
links open out new dimensions, or where links are permitted to cross
because in a higher dimensional manifold they can go "over" and "under"
one another (as can a network, in fact). I'm not really an expert on
graph theory, so I don't know whether or how graph theory is formulated
as a high dimensional geometry -- I do know somebody over in the math
department who is (and who's worked on networks) so maybe I should ask
him.

BTW, if you want to learn the actual mathematics at least at the
introductory level, Wolfram's "MathWorld" site (mathworld.wolfram.com)
is truly awesome -- a great resource.  You'll find graph theory under
discrete mathematics, and a variety of geometries discussed under
geometry.

The reason that I picked nits over your original reply (and continue to
know) is because a) you are correct, one CAN gain insight into the
network by studying its underlying mathematics; and b) you have to use
the right mathematics or you'll gain the wrong insight.  Geometry is NOT
spherical, spheres ARE geometrical, there are literally infinitely more
non-spherical geometries than there are spherical geometries (and please
let's not get started on infinity:-) and a network is not a geometry at
all in the formal/classical sense, although geometry may be relevant to
studying a network and is certainly useful when it comes to visualizing
it.

   rgb

http://www.google.com/search?q=spherical+geometry&sourceid=opera&num=10

Google only found [Results 1 - 10 of about 221,000.   Search took 0.24
seconds.]

Maybe we need to reverse our views of things.

If geometry is not spherical, then maybe it is spheres that are geometrical.

Anyway;-)...\You might find some interesting theorems among those 221,000 web
cites.  Or, maybe this one asking about ["spherical geometry" + manifolds]
will
be of even more interest. [Results 1 - 10 of about 563.   Search took 0.08
second]

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22spherical+geometry%22++%2B+manifolds&btnG=Google+Search

In any case, I was claiming that the Internet is a Manifold in terms of
spherical
Geometry, (or as you like it) Geomety of Spheres; and clearly there are
manifolds
in the concepts of spherical geometry, and I see no difficulty in mapping
your
network onto my manifold.  It is a set of pipes all connected together
somehow
such that a packet can enter via one pipe and flow through the manifold to
arrive
at the exit (given the correct address) of any other pipe in the manifold.
This seems to me to describe exactly what you say about the internet,
so I believe we no longer have any disagreement.

Cheers;-)...\Stef