Re: Continuing the story - another stab at an IETF missionstatement

2004-03-11 05:29:32
Harald,

Yes, you did reply last month, with allusions to standing on the quicksand.

I use The Internet to mean the public network and to exclude (enterprise)
networks behind NAT/PAT ie most enterprise networks.  I appreciate you do
not but still don't know if my usage is widespread or not ie will the use
of (capitalised) Internet help or confuse.  (My initial training in this
came from an IBM course).

I like the phrase Internet Protocol Suite - not widely used - and so refer
to networks based on the IPS to encompass the wider suite of networks.  But
then this allows for isolated networks where you specifically say
interconnected.  Or, staying with your terminology, you could add to the
definition 'including those connected via protocol gateways' which covers
NAT, PAT and anything else we may come up with (to keep out those with
malicious intent).

(Of the other posts, I don't think spherical geometry will help clarify
this while the reference to equivalence classes I find mistaken, since
there are discussions on not letting packets through as part of spam
control:-)

Tom Petch