Re: Apologies for the irony (was Re: Principles of Spam-abatement)

2004-03-12 16:33:24
From: Nathaniel Borenstein

                                                           ...    you
can't afford an expensive connection ...

                                                        ...   it's not
primarily about property rights, it's about our right to choose to
communicate with each other.

If the second were true, the first would be irrelevant.  That the first
is relevant shows the "right to choose to communicate" is nonsense,
except in the same sense as the costs of gasoline and real estate
limit your right to travel, live, and work where you want.

PS -- Are you really rejecting all mail from comcast.net?  Just
curious, that's a lot of people.  And if it's guppylake.com, it would
have been nice if someone had told me when I was blacklisted, seeing as
how I'm the administrator.

I suspect it is Comcast, but in the same hypothetical, contrary to
facts spirit as your other questions, let's assume that it is
guppylake.com.  How would you be entitled to or even just expect
notification?  If I set my (non-existent) caller-ID filters to reject
phone calls from you, would you be entitled to or expect a notice?
Even if you were a telemarketer, why would you care?  What if Qwest
did the rejecting for me?  I suspect your answers for the two media
differ and that you have not considered your position on Internet
access except from an emotional sense of entitlement and of hurt
and outrage at being snubbed by various blacklists.