Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-12 16:33:24
Perhaps you should ask this question of someone who actually _has_ studied
the problem for a number of years, and has reviewed the numerous legal
cases and the full text of their legal decisions, and sometimes even the
motions and briefs in the case, and has reveiwed the congressional
reports, and even the congressional testimony on the record.

And I've been interested and involved in the legal and human aspect of
various digital rights for over a dozen years. And as President of the
League for Programming Freedom, have organized over a hundred very
prominent computer scientists (luminaries like Don Knuth, John McCarthy,
Gerald Sussman, etc,etc,etc) on the issue of User Interface Copyrights,
and supervised legal briefs up to the Supreme Court.

I note that Mr. Vixie has declined to participate in any of these other
issues, other than to tell me that he _supports_ the notion of software
patents, when I asked him to join the LPF some years ago.  (Most technical
people are opposed to software patents) The LPF has been fighting software
patents and won on the issue of User Interface Copyrights in the Lotus V.
Borland.

                --Dean