Re: move to second stage, Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-14 10:23:52
Einar Stefferud wrote:
NSF dropped the AUP in 1994 as access was opened up to all who could afford it and the trustworthiness of the internet has gone downhill ever since because there is no longer any obvious incentive to inhibit bad behavior. Reasonable trustworthiness is no longer a hallmark of all Internauts. We all know that there are many bad apples in the barrel. I appears that the IETF did not foresee the fact of loss of trust, and did not foresee the affects such loss would have on everything, until now.

And so, perhaps all the major IETF standards need to be reviewed for upgrading to deal with the almost complete loss of internet-user trust and Internet System Trust. This is why I would designate Inter-system and Inter-personal trust induction as the major paradigm shift to be navigated in this first decade of the New Millennium. Unfortunately, it appears that the shift of paradigms might be a bigger adjustment than we are ready to address. But, the fact is that our old trust has been lost, and something new is desperately needed, as seems clear from this discussion thread...

There is also a possible conflict between the need for trust and the end to end principle, as mentioned in (http://www.iab.org/documents/drafts/draft-iab-e2e-futures-05.txt).

Yakov