Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-13 10:42:11
Now traditionally in IP networks we get away with lots of stuff, but
do you think that something like this would hold up in the voice
business?

voice is dominated by large players including some governments, and
international interconnection seems to be regulated by the itu.  if
voice were full of mom&pop's the way IP is, then i daresay i would
not be interrupted at my dinner hour by telemarketers nearly as often,
simply because there would be no path from them to me.

(Things are slightly different for mail but not fundamentally so,
especially as some ISPs are forcing their customers to use their
relays.)

until the day a cable/dsl provider decides to block "vpn access", none
of that will matter.  and since users of same working remotely with vpn
access back to "the office" are a large part of the subscriber base, and
are not a source of abuse, i do not expect them to block vpn's.  with
vpn's comes the freedom to do your business elsewhere (where it's safe)
and use the cable/dsl line for access (as it seems to be intended) rather
than for "real internet" (for which it seems ill suited.)