Re: Apology Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-17 18:28:27
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:26:13 -0500 (EST), Dean Anderson wrote:
However, I think there are things that show some promise that might be
harder to adapt to, such as automated text summarization, bayesian
filters, mail agents that filter on the user's interest in the message
subject, and such.

How about "You are a polluter, your connectivity has terminated, you
are on a customer blacklist, and you will never get connectivity from
us again"?  Spammers would have a little trouble adapting to that.

I think these are worth pursuing, but these are not
subjects for the IETF.

IETF's documenting that this is the behavior expected of any firm offering
connectivity is certainly within the IETF's purview.  And it would have
a dramatic effect.  (Partly because of norms; partly, at least in the
U.S., because it would expose pollution-enabling ISPs to heavy-duty
legal liabilities.  Stockholders would get after their boards.)

Jeffrey Race