Re: Apology Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-16 23:49:59

"Robert G. Brown" wrote:

Ed, are you not paying attention?

Read below and draw your own conclusions, please.

It is fundamentally, intrinsically, eternally IMPOSSIBLE TO IDENTIFY
INDIVIDUAL HUMANS on the internet.

Who is talking about humans? I am talking about EMAIL ADDRESSES,
MTAs, MUAs, END POINTS. Trust at the end points -- the end point
is able to do TCP/IP, end points are not human. It is also not
relevant if there is, or there is not, a human in control of an
end point. It can very well be another machine.

I also mentioned that trust should be based on the same definition
betwen machines as we use for millenia between humans. Why? So that
machines could use well-developed, real-world, tested notions of
trust -- and be thus useful as our agents.

This answers the rest of your email. Are you paying attention? ;-)

Cheers,
Ed Gerck

PS: BTW, take a look at a work some 5 years ago allowing ISPs to
identify who was at the keyboard by their usage pattern, in a
household, to properly target advertising. Humans are more
identifiable on the Internet than you think. But this is
100% irrelevant to what I wrote about. Humans can't do TCP/IP.