Re: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

2004-04-23 07:06:18
Hi Folks,
 OK, I'll bite.
(i) Have all of the folks commenting actually read these proposals all the way through (plus RFCs 2916 and 2806, along with the drafts RFC2806bis, and RFC2916bis that will replace them)?
      Some of the earlier examples in this thread make me wonder.
Note that by proposals, I mean .tel-Pulver *and* .tel-Telnic (they're wildly different), as well as the .mobi proposal. AFAICT, Pulver/NetNumber seem to be proposing a competitor to .e164.arpa, whilst Telnic are suggesting a name-based (i.e. phone numbers banned) registry to hold telecomms contact data. (I leave it as an exercise for the *Advanced* student to work
      out exactly what mobi-JV are proposing :)
(ii) After the painful/protracted discussions that led to ENUM using .e164.arpa., the idea that we throw all of that away and start again with .tel (or any other TLD) is a BAD idea, IMHO. (iii) The ITU is a UN organisation, and already has .int, so I'm not sure that there's an obvious justification for making yet another TLD available to them (quite apart from the organisational issues they have with actually registering any domains under the existing .int TLD). (iv) Regarding what mnemonics are used, and the ITU liaison to ICANN, it's illuminating to consider what was going on when the statement was sent to ICANN in 2000; the ITU had not at that point made any decision on how it was going to handle Internet use of telephone numbers, so this was a request for a block on anything that might interfere with that process. It's now 2004, and this process seems to be completing - we pretty much know what interferes and what doesn't.
      This, however, is a point for the IAB and the ITU.

all the best,
  Lawrence