RE: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

2004-04-29 10:47:35

I don't think there was any lack of capability for traction for the earlier
proposals, there just wasn't a surface to grip against.   The news (good or bad
depending on your biases) is that the telcos have some larger roles in the
Internet now a days.

When it was decided to open up TLDs, one should have expected that large
multi-national bodies would want to be represented at that level, and for a
variety of purposes.   I would not be surprised if  .tel and .mobi may only be
the beginning.  Some could certainly argue that there should be namespace
injection points into the DNS for .itu and .gsm, ...

Much like established names get inserted into multiple TLDs (e.g.
company_name.com, company_name.fr, company_name.net, ...), I will be surprised
if we don't end up with multiple injections of the fundamental telco naming
space (e.164) into the DNS.

for your consideration, peterf

________________________________

From: ietf-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of Bill Manning
Sent: Thu 4/29/2004 6:21 AM
To: Steven M. Bellovin
Cc: Dean Anderson; Stephen Sprunk; jfcm; Tim Chown; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

% There are two proposals for .tel; here's text from one of them:
%
%       Sub-domains of ".tel" may not be arbitrarily defined; rather
%       they are defined in accordance with the ITU E.164 standard.
%       A valid e164 domain name under the ".tel" TLD is defined
%       as follows:
%
%       Start with a telephone number: 1-212-332-1234.
%
%       Remove all non-numeric characters: 12123321234.
%
%       Reverse the order of the number: 43212332121.
%
%       Separate by dots: 4.3.2.1.2.3.3.2.1.2.1.
%
%       Add the sTLD:  4.3.2.1.2.3.3.2.1.2.1.tel.
%
% That looks like an ENUM competitor to me.  (The other .tel proposal
% looks like a generic TLD at first reading.)

        Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

        This is -exactly- the tpc.int. model,
                          the e164.int. model,
                          the e164.arpa. model...

        in a phrase...  "lacks traction"