13 Root Server Limitation

2004-05-16 12:25:31
Hi

I?m confused with the fact than the number of root servers is limited to 13.
From RFC 3226:

"The current number of root servers is limited to 13 as that is the maximum
number of name servers and their address records that fit in one 512-octet
answer for a SOA record.  If root servers start advertising A6 or KEY records
then the answer for the root NS records will not fit in a single 512-octet DNS
message, resulting in a large number of TCP query connections to the root
servers."

A query send to one of the root servers with a long name (length 255) shows
that
the answer is 511 bytes, returning one A and 13 NS records. My question is: Why
are all 13 NS returned?

Thanks in advance

T. Bocek