Re: Root Anycast

2004-05-17 18:37:31
%
% On 17-mei-04, at 17:41, Bill Manning wrote:
%
% > % But as long as we're dissing anycast root DNS servers: how many of
% > the
% > % root servers are being anycast now or in the future, and how many
% > % won't?
%
% >     http://www.rssac.org/
%
% >     check the 17th & 18th meeting minutes.
%
% Result:
%
% Unicast: A, E, H, L
% Anycast: B, C, D, F, G, I, J, K, M (now or planned)

        And in this brave new world, anycast may not equal anycast... :)
        Consider VRRP.  Is that anycast?  If not, why not?
        Any instance of localised load-balancing. Is it anycast?
        What are the distinctions btwn local/remote loadbalancing?

        None (to my knowledge) of the roots have a consistant view of
        a shared anycast vision, so you should not read too much into
        the summaries found in the RSSAC notes.

% The thing that worries me is that apparently, there is no policy about
% this whatsoever, the root operators each get to decide what they want
% to do. The fact that .org is run using only two anycast addresses also
% indicates that apparently the ICANN doesn't feel the need to throw
% their weight around in this area.

        ICANN has no say in the matter, with the exception of "L".
        There is nothing binding the root operators to a single policy
        with regard to deployment.  But thanks for noticing. :)

% It seems to me that any design that makes the root addresses seem as
% distributed around the net as possible would be optimal, as in this
% case the changes of an outage triggering rerouting of a large number of
% root addresses is as small as possible. In order to do this, the number
% of root addresses that are available within a geographic region (where
% "region" < RIR region) should be limited.

        Er... geography != network topology.

--bill