Re: Root Anycast

2004-05-18 15:27:21
On 18-mei-04, at 3:08, Bill Manning wrote:

        None (to my knowledge) of the roots have a consistant view of
        a shared anycast vision, so you should not read too much into
        the summaries found in the RSSAC notes.

Which is exactly the problem.

% It seems to me that any design that makes the root addresses seem as
% distributed around the net as possible would be optimal, as in this
% case the changes of an outage triggering rerouting of a large number of % root addresses is as small as possible. In order to do this, the number % of root addresses that are available within a geographic region (where
% "region" < RIR region) should be limited.

        Er... geography != network topology.

So people keep telling me...

In reality, geography is a decent predictor of round trip time, although the relationship isn't a simple linear one. (Ie, I can predict that I'll have an RTT of around 250 ms to most Japanese destinations and around 150 ms to most Californian destinations, even though I'm closer to Japan than to California.)