Re: Response to complaint from Dean Anderson

2004-05-21 11:12:54
I think Mark's suggestion is very reasonable in the short term, as it neatly bypasses the problem of accuracy and accountability in spam blacklisting services. And of course Dean always has the option of getting an email account on a non-blacklisted provider. (When I complained to Road Runner that they were unfairly blacklisting my provider, they cheerfully offered to steal my account from my provider rather than fix the problem.) But someone will have to wrestle with this problem eventually, and if it isn't IETF it will probably be the US government in the end.

Email has become so important for society and business that very few people will have even as much tolerance as Dean does for being (in his own mind, at the very least) unfairly blacklisted. Those of you who are angry at Dean for "flaming" in this case should consider how much more constructive it is for him to bring this matter up on the IETF list than to simply sue everyone who might have played a role in blocking his email. But frankly, I suspect it is inevitable that the courts in several countries will be called on to resolve these issues fairly soon. -- Nathaniel