RE: respect privacy please !

2004-05-22 18:57:10
grenville armitage wrote:
My sole observation is that the threat model postulated for
yanking the pre-meeting publication seem insufficiently analysed.

Besides, yanking it would be useless. If one wants to know if Joe
Sixpack is going to attend the meeting a week in advance, here are a few
tricks:

1. Email Joe Sixpack:
"Dear Joe,
I am Jane Doe from {vendor|organization}, I have read your excellent
comments about draft-ietf-whatever and I would like to know if you could
find a few minutes in your busy schedule to discuss the issue in person
at the San Diego meeting."

2. Call the meeting hotel and a few ones around:
"Hi, my name is Joe Sixpack and I just wanted to verify that you have a
reservation for me on August 1 2004".

3. Call the IETF secretariat:
"Hi, my name is Joe Sixpack, I pre-registered but I did not get any
confirmation email. Did the computer eat my registration?"

4. Call Joe Sixpack:
"Good morning Mr Sixpack, this is the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina.
We have two reservations in your name, one starting on Saturday July 31
and another one starting on Sunday August 1. Which one is correct
please?"

Etc....

I still have to see _one_ reason why the registration list represents a
threat. I agree that the disclaimer is a good idea though.

Michel.