Re: spoofing email addresses

2004-06-01 12:11:36
Open letter.

nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com (Nathaniel Borenstein) writes:
However, you are right that my current laptop configuration is one of
many that won't work when Caller-ID or SPF records come into use for
the domain guppylake.com.  At that point, obviously, I will change my
laptop's configuration.  My sincere hope is that by the time that
happens, I will have a better option for smtp submission.  Blocking
port 25 will most assuredly *not* help that problem.  -- Nathaniel

Nathaniel, I would be honoured to have you as my SMTP_AUTH guest.  All
we need to do is exchange a login and password, and you'll become able
to configure your laptop to send all of its outbound e-mail through my
server here.  I can't promise to resist a subpoena of my mail logs, but
no power less than a subpoena would make your contributions to those mail
logs available to third parties.

The reason this is an open letter rather than a 1x1 conversation is that
we already have technology that will solve the problems SPF+CallerID will
cause, and we should certainly be using them rather than worrying about
those problems, and I am willing to help Nathaniel become a poster child
for "how outbound mail ought to be done".
--
Paul Vixie