Re: spoofing email addresses

2004-06-01 22:35:26
Sigh. None of these proposals will work, and none really even deserve much
attention, since this subject and all sorts of related proposals have been
discussed __AT_LENGTH__ before.

** I have already demonstrated (or rather, pointed out that others have
already discovered this) to near mathematical certainty that such
protocols will fail to halt abuse, and that it is impossible to stop abuse
with a protocol change.

** It has been demonstrated (and is very easy for anyone to see) that only
a very tiny fraction of the stuff we generally term "spam" is actually
commercial, and even the apparent frauds aren't genuinely fraudulent.

** I and many others have demonstrated that the abusers and the
anti-spammers are pretty much one and the same group that once abused open
relays, and now send non-commercial annoyance in the hope that it will
either damage a business, or some other such mischief.  Nearly every
anti-spam organization outside of some serious projects like spam-bayes,
and especially organizations involved in a blacklist of some sort, is
simply a front for some kind of defamation not even involving spam.  Some
are simply scams to take money from people with their anti-spam-ware.

Though there was recently a book published on the subject of
crypto-virology that suggests that viruses that send spam may be
re-sending and re-encrypting messages to create a "mix-net", which is an
anonymous communication system. The author states that such systems would
be useful for extortion and information theft. I've been looking into spam
to see if this could be the case. Indeed, it _could_ be the case with
_some_ spam, but not all.  I have not yet started disassembling viruses to
see if there have been any that could take part in such a network. But the
virus code will reveal all, I think.

But new protocols will certainly sell more software.

Meanwhile, the only "solution" is to have more law enforcement attention
to the problem of __VIRUSES__ (and cracking) which are the senders of much
of what we call "spam", and are also the electronic agents of extortion
and information theft, if the crypto-virology idea is correct. This is
already illegal in many countries, and already a felony in the US.

Meanwhile, there are still people out there that need open relays. SMTP
AUTH is arguably a failure which has not caught on, and which has not
captured the market for mail clients.  Nor, even if it did catch on, would
it have any effect whatsoever on spam, or viruses, or abuse.

BTW, you may be interested to know that since last week, someone has been
trying to abuse our open relays again (after so many months of relative
peace). Funny how that seems to go with certain people. Very little of
that abuse has escaped detection, or blocking. Even open relays can detect
and prevent abuse. Anti-spammers (the ones that abuse open relays anyway)
are _so_ stupid.  BTW, in 8 years, only anti-spammers have ever abused or
relays.  We've tracked them down, and they've been fired on occassion.
They tend to be the abuse admins that work at certain ISPs, and think that
if they abuse open relays, they'll be closed. Remember that next time you
get a spam from an "open relay", though, you'll probably have to look for
a bit to find one, since last year, the FTC reported that open relay's
were involved in only 5% of spam.

So lets stop kidding ourselves, and lets stop giving a free ride to liars
and those that just use spam to promote their personal agenda's of
defamation and other abuse.

                --Dean