RE: Planning (Re: "setting up the administrative structures we need")

2004-06-15 10:52:38

--On 15. juni 2004 09:28 -0400 David Lloyd-Jones <dlj_canada(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
--On 9. juni 2004 10:00 -0400 David Lloyd-Jones
<dlj_canada(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On this planet things are almost always set up without plans, and
plansare  almost always constructed ex post facto to justify whatever
happened.

not my experience.

Harald,

A single example would make this observation more credible. There
certainly are areas of life in which the making of plans routinly
precedes an action -- but they are almost always things of the most
utterly routine kind.

a trivial example - I don't know if you'll take this as supporting my theory or yours:

all IETF WGs start out with milestones saying when they expect to reach their goals - which are supposed to be rooted in some idea of a plan for how to get there.

the useful thing about milestones (if there is any useful thing) is that when we (far too often) fail to meet them, it's obvious that we aren't on the first plan any more, and we can re-schedule - which exposes to the rest of the world the fact that we won't deliver what we promised in time, which in turn may lead to THEM adjusting their expected schedules (or, more likely, gripe about the unreliable IETF that can't deliver specs in a timely manner).

Panic in time.

                      Harald