Re: Problem of blocking ICMP packets

2004-06-16 08:10:24
Alberto Medina, Mark Allman, and I have a draft paper on
"Measuring the Evolution of Transport Protocols in the Internet"
that has a section (Section V.B.) on Path MTU Discovery.
From the paper:

"Table X shows that PMTUD is used and succeeded for slightly less
than half of the [web] servers on our list.  For 31\% of the servers
on our list, the server did not attempt Path MTU Discovery.  For
18\% of the servers on our list, Path MTU Discovery failed, presumably
because of middleboxes that block ICMP packets on the path to the
web server."
"Since a non-trivial number of network elements discard well-known
ICMP packets the results of our tests do not offer hope for protocol
designers proposing to use new ICMP messages to signal various
network path properties to end systems (e.g., for explicit corruption
notification, handoff or outage notification, etc.)."

We would appreciate any feedback, either on the paper, or on other
measurement studies that would be useful on sometimes-unanticipated
interactions between transport protocols and routers or middleboxes.

The paper and test code are both available from
"http://www.icir.org/tbit/";.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/