What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

2004-06-19 02:56:37
Hi,

at least here in Germany Internet providers tend to
do and not to do what they want.

- Some cut off their clients every 24 hours (DSL)

- Some block or slowdown particular tcp ports
  to get rid of peer-to-peer file sharing

- Some redirect the first web access to any site
  to their own to force you to read their ads

- Very few support multicast. When I asked my
  own provider, they didn't even know what this is.
  (They said 'no, because they don't support Linux'.)

- IPv6? Huh? What's that?

- At least one large provider blocks port 25 to certain IP
  addresses in order to force you to use the provider's
  mail relay and have the sender e-mail address replaced
  by the customers default address at the provider's domain.
  They say it's against spam, but I guess it's because they
  take money for opening the port and allowing to use
  SMTP and such any sender domain.

- ...

So it would be good to have some kind of
standard or definition, what exactly an
internet provider has to do and what to refrain
from.

Is there any? If not, shouldn't there be one?
E.g. as an RFC?

regards
Hadmut