Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

2004-06-19 08:00:09
From: Mark Smith
<ietf(_at_)130c04165a5b40404e4440445758487a(_dot_)nosense(_dot_)org>

So it would be good to have some kind of
standard or definition, what exactly an
internet provider has to do and what to refrain

I tend to come up with the answer to your question the following way :

(Q) What is the "Internet" ?

I prefer the definitions of various kinds of "Internet service" in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-02.txt

Today, providers that sell sevices to users of Microsoft systems and
do not pay exquisite attention to which of them are infected with the
latest worms and viruses must block and redirect port 25 to their own
SMTP servers and so not provide what that draft calls "Full Internet
Connectivity."