Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider? (FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-03.txt)

2004-07-07 18:32:52
At 23:22 06/07/04, John C Klensin wrote:
Vendors who are going to do these things will -- based on the
fact that they are being done already -- do them, with or
without this document.  And that includes providers who are
doing very little that we would recognize as "internet service"
characterizing themselves as "ISPs".   If this document can
accomplish anything, it is, as several people have pointed out,
provide a definitional basis for claiming that a vendor is lying
about what is being provided.  Put differently, the theory
behind it is to give operators/providers an opportunity to
disclose what they are doing in a more or less clear way.  If
they choose to exaggerate what they are offering, or to lie
about their services, that is a problem that this document
cannot solve and is not intended to try.

John,
This is quite ambitious to say "lying". Let say that it permits to say that a word is not used in John Klensin's way - may be not in an IETF ways. This permits to understand why, what is different, what are the con and pros. To have a reference is always a good point.

We are starting AFRAC as an experimental national Common Reference Center. The target is to understand how such center may support interapplications, contain metastructural risks, support dedicated governance and intergovernance relations, etc. Masataka Otha's remark is quite interesting, since it shows that he doubts that non-IETF community members, while members of the Internet Gobal community may not use some words in the same way, or should not ne encouraged to use them. Obviously not sharing the same referential creates confusion. (IMHO we are at the core of the networking notion - thank you for the initaitive I called for for years).

I am going to use your draft as an "IETF reference lexicon". We will see if someone wants to translate it as several concept may differ in French or in other latin languages (I do not know about other langages).

Is that label agreeable to you?
Are you interested in continuing building on it when new words are questionned?
jfc