Re: Reducing parallel meeting slots

2004-08-01 10:21:05
On 1-aug-04, at 17:10, Dave Crocker wrote:

Although there are some exceptions, we generally treat IETF resources as
being free.  Since they are in fact very expensive and often are very
scarce, I think that any effort to do better resource allocation would
be very helpful for IETF productivity.

This may or may not be the case, but:

Certainly this should include productivity requirements for getting
meeting slots.  Rather than trying to create more slots (more days or
more simultaneous meetings) we should be looking for ways to REDUCE the
number of parallel (conflicting) meetings.

...it doesn't address the problem of overlapping sessions. Sessions are going to overlap. This is only a problem when people want to attend more than one during any particular slot. The fact that people want to attend a session makes it highly unlikely that such a session is so unproductive that scrapping it alltoghether would be better. (I don't believe IETFers are so stupid they keep showing up for unproductive sessions.)