Re: Last Call: 'The APPLICATION/MBOX Media-Type' to Proposed Standard

2004-08-10 10:19:21
On Aug 10, 2004, at 4:19 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:

The IESG writes ("Last Call: 'The APPLICATION/MBOX Media-Type' to Proposed Standard "):
 * Since mbox files are text files (assuming that any binary messages
   in the mailbox are themselves encoded) and can be read sensibly
   with the naked eye, the content type should be text/* not
   application/*.  This will also remove ambiguity surrounding line
   endings.

I'm not very close to this problem, but I'd like to point out that using text/anything gets you into i18n issues... if the server has trouble getting the charset= right and doesn't provide it, then the rules say the client MUST assume US-ASCII, which in a high proportion of cases is going to be wrong; and by the way the client is forbidden to use any other heuristics to figure out what the encoding might be. text/* also blesses intermediate transcoders which can create all sorts of problems.

Maybe these issues don't apply to mbox data, in which case feel free to ignore me -Tim