Re: hop-by-hop and router alert options [Re: Question about use of RSVP in Production Networks]

2004-08-11 06:15:53

--On Mittwoch, 11. August 2004 14:58 Uhr +0300 Pekka Savola <pekkas(_at_)netcore(_dot_)fi> wrote:

| On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Fleischman, Eric wrote:
|> I am aware of some use of RSVP in labs but I am not aware of any use
|> of RSVP in production networks (i.e., real life networks people
|> connect to the Internet with). Simultaneously, I am encountering
|> I-Ds and other work planning to use RSVP. This possible disconnect
|> concerns me. Therefore, I would appreciate being educated by anybody
|> using RSVP in production settings. Would you please let me know how
|> many devices, what applications, and how successful these
|> deployments (if any) are? Thank you.
|
| I'd be interested about this as well, but also in more general.
|
| I'd be in favor of deprecating the IP router alert option completely.
| Effectively this affects RSVP and MLD *).  I'd want to similarly do
| away with the IPv6 Hop-by-Hop options.  At the very least, I'd like to
| prevent further standardization of these options.

Hmm, NSIS protocol suite (new protocol that does path-coupled QoS signaling ala RSVP and firewall/NAT signaling) relies on the use of router alert options for the initial NSIS peer discovery process. Is there any other proposal to get a discovery mechanism like router alert options without the disadvantages of this option?

 Martin