Re: Options for IETF administrative restructuring

2004-08-27 13:47:57
leslie,

you wrote, in response to john:

We are in agreement that key strategic decisions have to be made
with the informed consent of the community.  Harald and I have
made the commitment to put as much on the table as is possible ...

let me quote from california's sunshine law:

        The people of this State do not yield their sovereignty to the
        agencies which serve them.  The people, in delegating authority,
        do not give their public servants the right to decide what is
        good for the people to know and what is not good for them to
        know.  The people insist on remaining informed so that they may
        retain control over the instruments they have created.

now of course, "ietf" != "california", but the case is almost parallel,
in that you and harald are representing a lot of engineers and companies,
who accept the gift of your nonrenumerated representation because they
("we") believe that it's in our best interests to have you trying to
make good things happen on our behalf.  if i havn't said it often enough
or lately, let me say it now -- THANK YOU!

however, i am uncomfortable with some of the chaos around the reorg, and
most of my discomfort is related to disclosure.  please find a way to do
more of the negotiations out in the open.  there are very few "ietf special
interests" whom i respect or trust enough to be comfortable knowing that
they're being told things, or being allowed to make proposals, that the
public (that's me) isn't directly aware of.

paul